Applications are now available for a student leadership opportunity at Ohrstrom Library. A team of 12 students in the current 4th or 5th forms will be selected this spring to serve as Ohrstrom Library Prefects from September 2010 through May 2011. Below is a description of the program and information about the application process.
How Will a Library Prefect Serve?
- Will set a positive tone and example by exhibiting respect for the Library’s physical plant, patrons and staff; facilitating a quiet and harmonious study environment for all; and being helpful to students in need of direction.
- Will meet with the Library Director and staff. Will offer advice and suggestions associated with the collections and operation of the library and its services. Will serve as a liaison between the student body and the library.
- Will be visible, approachable and available to students; reaching out to those who appear to need guidance or assistance with locating library resources, and referring students to library staff for help with research and resource questions. Will serve as a peer resource for students who would like to discuss the topic of academic integrity in the library.
- Will promote the development of library and research skill sets by learning how to confidently navigate the Ohrstrom Library website; locate cataloged materials in the stacks; and operate library equipment such as film readers, copiers and scanners.
- Will possess an understanding of Ohrstrom Library’s expectations and discourage all behaviors that undermine the success, academic potential, or well-being of students using the library for research, study, writing, or reflection. Will discourage all abuse or misuse of library property, and report questionable or potentially dangerous behaviors to the library staff.
- Will behave in an objective manner should conflicts with patrons arise, always honoring personal boundaries. Will refer or report students with policy questions, concerns or special needs to the Library Director or library staff on duty.
What Kind of Time Commitment is Involved?
- If you are selected as a Library Prefect, you must fully commit to covering one weekly 1.5 hour shift in Ohrstrom Library on a mutually agreed upon evening.
- Library Prefects will be on duty in Ohrstrom Library, Sunday through Friday evenings 7:30pm to 9:00pm.
- Library Prefects will work in teams of two, one evening each week.
- Swaps will be allowed but all shifts must be covered.
What Might A Typical Evening Involve?
Working out of a space adjacent to the Library Director’s office on the second floor of Ohrstrom Library, Library Prefects will make regular “rounds” throughout the building. During this time they might assist students who are having difficulty either locating materials or navigating their way around the building; discover routine problems that can be quickly solved or referred to the Library staff; cover the Circulation Desk for very brief periods if the Library staff are called away. They may shelve current periodicals, books and newspapers; assist with shelf reading; and as liaisons between the student body and the library, bring suggestions to the Library Director and staff regarding the operation, services, and best practices of the library.
How Do I Apply for Consideration and What Happens Next?
- Access a PDF version on the application by clicking HERE, OR pick one up at the Circulation Desk in Ohrstrom Library.
- Turn in the completed application at the Library Circulation Desk no later than Monday May 10 at 5:00pm.
- Mr. Barry will acknowledge receipt by e-mail of all applications received.
- All applications will be reviewed by Library staff and current 6th Form Library Prefects.
- With applicant’s permission, applicant’s adviser will be consulted.
- All applicants will be notified as to whether or not they have been selected by Friday Monday May 17 at 5:00pm.
- Training and duty schedules will be completed by mid-September 2010.
Please see or contact Mr. Barry if you have any questions about the position or application process.