Lura Sanborn – Reference Librarian
The Encyclopedia of Taoism edited by Fabrizio Pregadio, Routledge, 2008.
Find it in Ohrstrom at: REF 299.51 P91T
This 2-volume set describes the history, traditions and principles of Taoism. The encyclopedia is divided into 5 main thematic sections:
- Overview – including entries related to: Scriptures and Texts, Deities and Spirits, Sacred Sites
- The Taoist Universe – including entries related to: Doctrinal Notions, Transcendence and Immortality, Mountains and Mountain Monographs
- History- including entries related to: Pre-Han and Han Background, Shangqing, Contemporary Taoism
- Forms of Religious Practice and Experience – including entries related to: Meditation, Alchemy, Ritual
- Taoism and Chinese Buddhism– including entries related to: Persons, Texts
Two additional, shorter, sections are included at the end of volume two: Miscellaneous Terms Related to Religious Ideas and Practices and Associations.
Helpful for: Chinese Studies, Religious Studies, Asian Studies, Humanities