• Archives

    From the Archives: The Big Study Fire of 1961

    Lisa Laughy -Archives Assistant Forty eight years ago tonight The Big Study mysteriously caught fire and burned to the ground.  The Big Study was located across from the Rectory between the Old and New Chapels, and was connected to the New Chapel by a cloister walkway.  It was built in 1872-1873 and was enlarged in 1888, making it one of the older buildings still in existence on School grounds at that time. The following description of the event is from August Heckscher’s book, A Brief History of St. Paul’s School (pgs. 134-135; Ohrstrom Call # 373 Sa2HB): “The night of January 21, 1961, was one of the coldest in New…