Ohrstrom Library Celebrates 25 Years

Introduction:

Ohrstrom Library celebrates 25 years of service to the SPS community in 2016. During the past 25 years, much has changed in the world and at St. Paul’s School. However, what has not changed is the School’s commitment to academic excellence and to preparing our students for lives of service and leadership.

Former School Librarian Rosemarie Cassels-Brown wrote in 1991:

St. Paul’s School’s long history of excellence is reflected in a library tradition dating back to the School’s earliest days, when the library’s collection numbered 350 books, in 1858. This collection grew rapidly, doubling every few years. It required a succession of moves to larger quarters.  Ninety years ago [in 1901], architect Ernest Flagg designed for St. Paul’s the beautiful, 13,000 square foot Sheldon Library in the much admired Beaux Arts Style. Sheldon Library served the school until January of 1991 when the new Ohrstrom Library opened its doors.

On January 4, 1991, for two hours during the middle of the day, the entire school community came together and formed a fire brigade, passing books hand-to-hand in a long line from Sheldon to Ohrstrom. Ten days later, on January 14th, Rector Kelly Clark declared Ohrstrom Library officially open. On the weekend of April 20-21, 1991, Ohrstrom library was dedicated in official ceremonies attended by Ohrstrom architect Robert A. M. Stern, Trustees James W. Kinnear III ’46, Edmund P. Pillsbury ’61, George L. Ohrstrom ’45 and other distinguished guests.

On the 25th Anniversary of Ohrstrom Library, we are pleased to present this exhibit highlighting some of these events that were the result of years of careful planning and great thought by many who cared deeply for the role of the library at St. Paul’s School.

Hall Harrison, the School’s first librarian, chose this motto when he founded the Library Association in 1873: Non scholae, sed vitae – vitae utrique (Not for the School, but for life – for each life). This motto stills applies today as Ohrstrom Library continues to evolve and change with the times, never forgetting our Goodly Heritage, and our basic mission to serve the St. Paul’s School community and to promote a love of learning within each life that passes through this great school.

Exhibit Quick Links:

(See full exhibit below)

Click on the thumbnails above or the titles below to access the individual entry pages.

Exhibit Slide Show:

 
Click on the thumbnail to launch the
"Ohrstrom Library Celebrates 25 Years" slide show on Flickr.

 

Exhibit Entries:

Ohrstrom Library Groundbreaking Ceremony

 



A photograph taken at the beginning of the groundbreaking ceremony for Ohrstrom Library, which took place on June 4th, 1988.


Ohrstrom Library Groundbreaking Ceremony

 



Assistant Librarian / Reference Librarian Ann Louise Locke is shown with a shovel, participating in the groundbreaking ceremony for Ohrstrom Library.


Ohrstrom Library Construction

 



A photograph of the construction of Ohrstrom Library shows the steel framework being erected during the summer of 1989.


Ohrstrom Library Construction: Tower

 



Construction of the steel framework of the tower of Ohrstrom Library during the summer of 1989.


Ohrstrom Library Construction

 



A photograph of the construction of Ohrstrom Library taken in the late summer/early autumn of 1989. The steel framework is being covered in preparation for the stone and brickwork.


Ohrstrom Library Construction

 



Construction of Ohrstrom Library, fall 1989, with scaffolding and crane, showing the stone and brickwork being done on the front of the building and tower.


Ohrstrom Library Construction

 



Construction of the roof and tower of Ohrstrom Library as seen from the scaffolding surrounding the chimney – taken in the fall of 1989.


Placing the Cornerstone of Ohrstrom Library

 



A photograph showing the placing of the cornerstone of Ohrstrom Library on October 20, 1990. Trustee James W. Kinnear, III, Form of 1946 is shown on the left and Vice Rector John Buxton is on the right.


Moving the Books: Side Lawn of Ohrstrom Library

 



The photograph shows library and facilities staff engaged in moving books from the old Sheldon Library to the new Ohrstrom Library during the first of two moving days on November 16, 1990.


Moving the Books: Placing the First Book

 



Librarian David Levesque places the first book on the shelf in the new Ohrstrom Library on November 16, 1990.


Moving the Books: Book Brigade on Steps of Sheldon

 



The photograph shows students engaged in moving books from the old Sheldon Library to the new Ohrstrom Library, in an event that took place on January 4, 1991. For a few hours during the middle of the day the students formed a continuous line that began at Sheldon and ran all the way to Ohrstrom Library. They passed books along the line and succeeded in moving a portion of the books into the new library. Library Director Rosemarie Cassels-Brown is on the left of the photograph, overseeing the transfer of books.


Moving the Books: Book Brigade Inside Ohrstrom

 



Students engaged in moving books up the stairs of the new Ohrstrom Library, in an event that took place on January 4, 1991. This photograph shows the end section of the book brigade that began at Sheldon and ran all the way to the empty shelves of Ohrstrom Library.


Dedication of Ohrstrom Library: Reception on Stair Landing

 



Two attendees of the opening reception held at Ohrstrom Library on April 20, 1991.


Dedication of Ohrstrom Library: Reception in Baker Reading Room

 



Attendees of the opening reception held at Ohrstrom Library on April 20, 1991, enjoying refreshments in the Baker Reading Room.


View of Ohrstrom Library from New Chapel Tower

 



A photograph of Ohrstrom Library taken from the top of the New Chapel tower during graduation on June 2, 1991.


View of the New Chapel from within Ohrstrom Library.

 



A photograph of the New Chapel taken from within Ohrstrom Library during graduation on June 2, 1991.