By Lura Sanborn - Research & Instruction Librarian January 12th, 2010
Daily Life through World History in Primary Documents edited by Lawrence Morris, Greenwood Press, 2009.
Find it in Ohrstrom at: REF 909 M832D
Each volume in this three-volume set features worldwide primary source documents from a different time period.
- Volume 1 – The Ancient World
- Volume 2 – The Middle Ages and the Renaissance
- Volume 3 – The Modern World
- An excerpt from the first-century A.D. text Jewish Antiquities: “Jewish Laws on Marriage and Family.”
- A passage from Lankavatara Sutra, a Buddhist religious text estimated to be from the fourth century B.C.: “Do Not Eat Meat.”
- A document written by a third-century Egyptian lentil merchant, requesting tax relief.
- A poem by Chinese poet Po Chu-I (A.D. 772-846): “The Charcoal-Seller.”
- An excerpt from the writings of a millworker, Harriet H. Robinson: Loom and Spindle, or Life Among the Early Mill Girls.
- An excerpt about fast food from Eric Schlosser’s Fast Food Nation: the Dark Side of the All-American Meal.
Helpful for: Humanities III, Humanities IV, Humanities IV Research Paper, Humanities V, Humanities V Research Paper, Topic Finding, Global Studies