Observatory: Telescope

 

Residing within the 1930 observatory was a 5-inch refracting telescope built in 1893 by Alvan Clark & Sons, the preeminent American telescope manufacturer of the late 19th century.

The October 22, 1930 edition of the Horae Scholasticae includes this information about the Observatory:

The telescope and attendant apparati are in every way perfectly equipped.  The lens is a five-inch refracting glass made by Alvan Clark & Sons of Cambridge, Massachusetts.  It was formerly the property of Mr. Isham.  It is mounted on a six-foot cylinder which has four eye-pieces attached to its lower end.  The light gathering power of the aperture as compared with the human eye is approximately 625 times as great.  The lowest power eye-piece magnifies 48 times, the highest 300 times.

"Observatory: Telescope" is part of the following exhibit(s):



Browse similar entries using these tags:

Persons:

Type:

Location:

Building:

Time Frame:

Form Year:

This item is part of:



Additional Information:

Click HERE for detailed copyright information about this item.

"Observatory: Telescope." St. Paul's School. Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives. Web. 17 Aug. 2017.



  • Comments(0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *