Original Shute Cottage

 

According to an Alumni Horae Spring 1954  article (pg. 24-25), the original Shute Cottage was owned by Moses Shute and was purchased by the school in 1860.  It was used as faculty housing until 1865 when it then became the Lower School. In 1870 it was rebuilt – the original structure was lifted up and became the second floor – and a wing was added to the back corner. It was expanded again in 1875 to add an attached faculty residence.  In 1899 it became Middle.  It was torn down in 1954 and the location was used to build the current Middle.

A replica of Shute Cottage was built as a memorial to Willard Scudder, and was dedicated during Anniversary 1940.



Browse similar entries using these tags:



Additional Information:

Click HERE for detailed copyright information about this item.

"Original Shute Cottage." St. Paul's School. Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives. Web. 26 Sep. 2017.



  • Comments(0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *