• Archives,  History

    From the Archives: Club Banners

    Most people who look up and notice the club banners on display in the lobby of the Blass Club House probably associate them with the club sports competition begun at St. Paul’s School in 1888. In actuality the Isthmian, Delphian and Old Hundred banners have nothing to do with sports. Their origins have more in common with this year’s revived Club Cup competition than with the sports-only club rivalries that are a better-known part of school history. The club banners were the inspiration of Samuel Smith Drury, Rector of St. Paul’s School fromĀ  1911 to 1938. In the Spring 1921 Alumni Horae he described his new plan to use the…