• Archives,  History

    From the Archives: Club Banners

    Most people who look up and notice the club banners on display in the lobby of the Blass Club House probably associate them with the club sports competition begun at St. Paul’s School in 1888. In actuality the Isthmian, Delphian and Old Hundred banners have nothing to do with sports. Their origins have more in common with this year’s revived Club Cup competition than with the sports-only club rivalries that are a better-known part of school history. The club banners were the inspiration of Samuel Smith Drury, Rector of St. Paul’s School from¬† 1911 to 1938. In the Spring 1921 Alumni Horae he described his new plan to use the…

  • Archives,  Fine Arts,  History,  Library News,  Web Resources

    New Archives Exhibit: The Form Plaques of SPS

    As promised on Ohrstrom Blog just prior to March break, a new Archives online exhibit is now available on the Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives: The Form Plaques of St. Paul’s School: John Gregory Wiggins. Eighteen images have been selected as the focus of the exhibit. Each image includes a description of the symbols employed in the plaque design and is written by the carver of the plaques, John Gregory Wiggins.¬† In addition to the individual entries in the exhibit you can take a quick overview of the plaques by viewing a slideshow of the images. The exhibit offers a great introduction to this School tradition, and helps to decipher some…