1883: Crew, Cricket and Cross-Country

posted in: Archives, History, Library News | 0

This carving by John Gregory Wiggins commemorates the St. Paul’s School Form of 1883. The top of the plaque shows one of the six-oared shells that were raced on Long Pond that year. The “Veritas” shield celebrates a cricket victory over Harvard. The hound and hare represent a vigorous twelve mile cross-country race around the school grounds run by most of the students – the winner receiving bragging rights for a whole year!

#ohrstromlibrary #ohrstromlibrarydigitalarchives #spshistory #iamsps #formof1883 #formplaque #johngregorywiggins #carving #woodcarving #tbt #throwback #throwbackthursday #harvard @harvard #cricket #hare #hound #race

New Archives Exhibit: The Form Plaques of SPS

As promised on Ohrstrom Blog just prior to March break, a new Archives online exhibit is now available on the Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives: The Form Plaques of St. Paul’s School: John Gregory Wiggins. Eighteen images have been selected as … Continued

New on OLDA: Form Plaque Photos

The Ohrstrom Library Digital Archive – OLDA for short – has some new images available from the SPS Archives for online viewing. A series of photographs have been digitized featuring forty-two of the Form plaques on display in the Coit … Continued