New Squash Courts

 

This photograph shows the Squash Courts under construction in 1915. Maurice Roche (Lord Fermoy and grandfather of Diana, Princess of Wales), Form of 1905, donated the funds to build the new courts, one of many gifts he made to St. Paul’s School. The new Squash Courts were opened for play on January 18, 1916 and are still in use today.

The January 29, 1916 edition of the Horae Scholasticae (pg. 107) published this mention of the new Squash Courts:

With the opening of the new Squash Racquets courts the Horae wishes to thank Mr. Roche once more, on behalf of the School, for his handsome and most pleasing gift. The game has been taken up by the boys with great interest, and a large number are daily availing themselves of the opportunity to enjoy the game in that place, so completely equipped and so beautifully furnished.



Browse similar entries using these tags:



Additional Information:

Click HERE for detailed copyright information about this item.

"New Squash Courts." St. Paul's School. Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives. Web. 19 Nov. 2017.



  • Comments(0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *