The Westinghouse Lab, constructed in 1902, was a gift of inventor and scientist George Westinghouse, Jr., whose son, George Westinghouse III, was a member of the Form of 1902. In 1903, science courses were offered only in physics and chemistry, and the upper and middle floors of the Westinghouse Lab were designated for this classroom instruction. The ground floor housed a small power plant and also featured a small auditorium that accommodated meetings of the Scientific Association and the Radio Club. Many of the tools and devices from the old lab were transferred to the newer facility for re-use. However, over time, new equipment for teaching general science, biology, astronomy, physical geography, physics and chemistry was acquired.
It is no understatement that the development of robust and steadfast support for the sciences at SPS can be attributed in large part to two early leaders: The Rev. Dr. Samuel S. Drury, whose strong advocacy for the instruction and study of science at SPS assured the Lab’s success and a bright future for science, and former Vice Rector Dr. J. Milnor Coit, who as head of the Science Department for many years was a tireless champion for the teaching of scientific studies.
The Westinghouse Lab was torn down in 1951.
"Westinghouse Laboratory" is part of the following exhibit(s):
Browse similar entries using these tags:
Form Year: 1902
Rectorship: 1895-1906: Second Rector J. H. Coit Years
This item is part of: The Drury Albums
Click HERE for detailed copyright information about this item.
"Westinghouse Laboratory." St. Paul's School. Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives. Web. 28 Mar. 2017.