This photograph shows the Rector’s stall, draped in mourning for the First Rector, Henry Augustus Coit, who died on February 5th, 1895.
The angel window over the south door, the main entrance to the Chapel, was installed in 1896 as a memorial to him. According to the program for the 75th anniversary of the Chapel, published on October 21, 1962, Coit chose the theme himself “so that as the boys left the chapel they would be reminded that they were under the guardianship of creatures of a higher order in God’s Kingdom.”
"Rector’s Stall: 1895" is part of the following exhibit(s):
Browse similar entries using these tags:
Persons: Coit, Henry Augustus
Rectorship: 1856-1895: First Rector H. A. Coit Years
Collection: 0001 - Photographs: General Collection
Click HERE for detailed copyright information about this item.
1895. "Rector’s Stall: 1895." St. Paul's School. Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives. Web. 28 Mar. 2017.