This photo is of the Form plaque carving for 1866 on display in the Coit Upper Dining Hall that was completed by woodcarver John Gregory Wiggins sometime between November of 1922 and May of 1923.
The following description of the design was written by Wiggins in the June 7, 1923 edition of the Horae Scholasticae:
The upper half shows baseball springing up beside cricket. In this year there were two ball clubs, the Alerts and the Fearnoughts, and the former was victorious. Lower center shows a cow’s head, marking the building of a new farm. The lower left shows a group of orphans, and the lower right two of the clergy, as in this year the Orphans’ Home was opened by Dr. Coit, and there was a Church Convention in Concord, the members visiting the School during their stay.
"Form Plaque: 1866" is part of the following exhibit(s):
Browse similar entries using these tags:
Persons: Wiggins, John Gregory
Form Year: 1866
Collection: 0001 - Photographs: General Collection
Click HERE for detailed copyright information about this item.
"Form Plaque: 1866." St. Paul's School. Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives. Web. 24 Mar. 2017.