This photo is of the Form plaque carving for 1867 on display in the Coit Upper Dining Hall that was completed by woodcarver John Gregory Wiggins sometime between November of 1922 and May of 1923.
The following description of the design was written by Wiggins in the June 7, 1923 edition of the Horae Scholasticae:
This panel shows “Old Number 3” with the carpenters shingling the roof. This year was excessively dry and water had to be brought to the School. Lower left shows a farmer carrying buckets of water. The old Smithy was torn down. The lower right shows a blacksmith at work. This year a certain M. Lalanne came to the School and taught French, which marks the beginning of that department, hence the fleur de lis in the corners.
"Form Plaque: 1867" is part of the following exhibit(s):
Browse similar entries using these tags:
Persons: Wiggins, John Gregory
Form Year: 1867
Collection: 0001 - Photographs: General Collection
Click HERE for detailed copyright information about this item.
"Form Plaque: 1867." St. Paul's School. Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives. Web. 23 Apr. 2017.