This photograph of the New Chapel entrance provides a good view of the capped roof prior to the addition of the tower which was completed 1894.
The Horae Scholasticae from November 4, 1887 (pg. 38) has this to say about the unfinished tower:
But the exterior, also, has great dignity and grace; and when the tower is built – and without the tower it is scarcely fair to pass judgment at all – we believe the exterior effect will be scarcely less pleasing than that of the interior. The tower is an integral part of the architect’s conception, and we are quite sure that the Alumni, as well as the School, will never be satisfied until it is erected and supplied with clock and bells.
"The New Chapel Before 1894" is part of the following exhibit(s):
Browse similar entries using these tags:
Time Frame: 1880s
Rectorship: 1856-1895: First Rector H. A. Coit Years
Collection: 0001 - Photographs: General Collection
This item is part of: The Drury Albums
Click HERE for detailed copyright information about this item.
"The New Chapel Before 1894." St. Paul's School. Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives. Web. 28 Mar. 2017.