• Library News

    Summer of Construction

    Ohrstrom Library has had a very busy summer! While you were away, the building was renovated on all three floors as well as to the exterior. Here is a list of changes and improvements made: A new access ramp has been constructed at the front entrance The main stairwell has been completely redesigned and a glass doorway has been added on the lower level The Baker Reading Room will have new furniture installed by the beginning of October Glass doors have been added to the Pillsbury and Reference room entrances on the main level and the Fine Arts Room and Shakespeare Room on the upper level The open spaces between…

  • Archives,  History,  Library News,  Library Tech

    New Archives Online Exhibit: Ohrstrom Library Celebrates 25 Years

    A new online exhibit is available on the Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives website: Ohrstrom Library Celebrates 25 Years. This exhibit features sixteen photographs from the St. Paul’s School Archives collection that document the planning, construction, and dedication of Ohrstrom Library twenty-five years ago this spring. From the introduction: On the 25th Anniversary of Ohrstrom Library, we are pleased to present this exhibit highlighting some of these events that were the result of years of careful planning and great thought by many who cared deeply for the role of the library at St. Paul’s School. Take a few moments to enjoy the photographs, descriptions and slide show of Ohrstrom Library, celebrating…

  • Archives,  History

    From the Archives: SPS Under Construction

    As construction continues on Dunbarton Road and the new Lindsay Center for Mathematics and Science, it brings to mind other major construction projects from the history of St. Paul’s School.  Although difficult to tell from inside or outside of the New Chapel, an entire section was added to the nave forty-two years after original construction began.  The images below depict the expansion at its most dramatic point: In 1928 the New Chapel was expanded to accommodate the increasing number of students at St. Paul’s School.  The Sesquicentennial Exhibit offers this description of the photos: In 1928 the Chapel was deconsecrated and workmen began to slice through the brick walls. The…

  • Archives

    From the Archives: Dunbarton Road Construction

    Dunbarton Road, once called New Dunbarton Road, is undergoing construction as part of the site preparation for the building of the Lindsay Center for Mathematics and Science.  Rectory Road, the original Dunbarton Road, was once the main route from Concord to Dunbarton and beyond.  It wasn’t always the quiet roadway through the center of the grounds that it is today, and by the early years of the 20th century the increase in automobile traffic had become a menace.  The New Dunbarton Road was opened in June of 1920 as a way to re-direct traffic away from the center of  the grounds. The images below were discovered in the Archives as…