• Archives,  History,  Library News

    The Pulpit in the New Chapel

    The pulpit in the New Chapel was a gift to the Form of 1887. It is ornately carved with the symbols of the for Evangelists, the School shield, and the School symbol - the pelican. #ohrstromlibrary #ohrstromlibrarydigitalarchives #pulpit #evangelist #symbols #shield #pelican #horaescholasticae #spshistory #iamsps #chapel #newchapel #chapelofstpeterandstpaul #throwback #throwbackthursday

  • Archives,  Library News

    New Archives Exhibit: A New Chapel For St. Paul’s School

    In recognition of the 125th anniversary of the consecration of the New Chapel, a new online and in-library exhibit is now available from Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives.  A New Chapel For St. Paul’s School: Early Photographs of the Chapel of St. Peter and St. Paul can be viewed on the OLDA website as well as in the upper level display case in Ohrstrom Library. The exhibit features photographs of the New Chapel prior to 1895, with photographs selected from the St. Paul’s School archives collection. These photographs show the Chapel as it was originally designed, prior to the completion of the tower and the addition of 1928. Stop by Ohrstrom…

  • Archives,  History

    From the Archives: SPS Under Construction

    As construction continues on Dunbarton Road and the new Lindsay Center for Mathematics and Science, it brings to mind other major construction projects from the history of St. Paul’s School.  Although difficult to tell from inside or outside of the New Chapel, an entire section was added to the nave forty-two years after original construction began.  The images below depict the expansion at its most dramatic point: In 1928 the New Chapel was expanded to accommodate the increasing number of students at St. Paul’s School.  The Sesquicentennial Exhibit offers this description of the photos: In 1928 the Chapel was deconsecrated and workmen began to slice through the brick walls. The…